PR1 Pico Do Arieiro To
Pico Ruivo To Teixeira:
The Number 1 Hike
Of Madeira Island
Pico Ruivo, with 1862 meters of altitude is the highest mountain in Madeira Island, it is also the third highest mountain in all Portugal. To access the peak you must arrive walking. The absolute best way is from Pico do Arieiro (the 3rd highest mountain on the island with 1810 meters of altitude).
It is popular for being the path in Madeira with the most breathtaking views because of the weather diversity along the hike. You will feel that you walk “above the clouds” and on the challenging path you will find a few tunnel-walks and the famous “stairs to heaven”.
With the absence of public buses to this incredible place, we have created the easiest and cheapest way to visit it and enjoy this amazing hike in your own rhythm.
ABOUT YOUR TRANSFER
Your transfer includes pick-up and drop-off in your accommodation in Funchal or Caniço.
We will arrive at Pico Do Arieiro in the late morning. After your hike to Pico Ruivo, we will pick you in Achada Do Teixeira to take you back to your accommodation.
ABOUT THE HIKE
Duration: 4h30m or 4h45m or 5h00m (depending on the temperature of the day). We will inform the schedule in the pick-up message.
Total distance: 11 km.
Days available: Check the calendar.
From October to February: 0°C to 5°C.
From March to June: 5°C to 15°C.
From July to September: 15°C to 25°C.
We do not recommend this hike for kids under 14 years old.
Elevation max: 1862 m
Elevation min: 1542 m
REMEMBER TO BRING
– Water and food.
– Comfortable shoes.
– Clothing according to the weather conditions.
(You will be notified about the temperature in your pick-up time message. From November to April please expect low temperatures. Thermo clothes, layers and a winter waterproof jacket will be needed).
– A backpack with only the necessary.
– A flashlight/Smartphone.
– Rain cover.
– A hat for the sun.
Where to find clothes for low temperature?: DECATHLON STORE.
SEPTEMBER 2023 PROGRAM
- Accommodation pick-up between: 9:20 to 10:10 (Possible gap. Pick-up lasts between 10 and 30 min.)
- 40 minutes drive up to Pico Do Arieiro
- Hike to Pico Ruivo and Achada Do Teixeira: 4:45 or 5:00 hours (depending on the temperature of the day)
- Achada Do Teixeira pick-up: 15:45 to 16:00 (depending on the schedule of the day)
- 1 hour drive to Funchal/Caniço
- Accommodation drop-off between: 16:45 – 17:30 (Possible gap. Drop-off lasts between 10 and 30 min.)
We will notify your exact time of pick-up and temperature during the hike 1 day before your transfer in the evening, via WhatsApp or email. We will ask for these details on the check-out page.