PR1 Pico Do Arieiro
To Pico Ruivo
The Number 1 Hike
Of Madeira Island
Pico Ruivo, with 1862 meters of altitude is the highest mountain in Madeira Island, it is also the third highest mountain in all Portugal. To access the peak you must arrive walking. The absolute best way is from Pico do Arieiro (the 3rd highest mountain on the island with 1810 meters of altitude).
It is popular for being the path in Madeira with the most breathtaking views because of the weather diversity along the hike. You will feel that you walk “above the clouds” and on the challenging path you will find a few tunnel-walks and the famous “stairs to heaven”.
With the absence of public buses to this incredible place, we have created the easiest and cheapest way to visit it and enjoy this amazing hike in your own rhythm.
ABOUT YOUR TRANSFER
Your transfer includes pick-up and drop-off in your accommodation in Funchal or Caniço.
We will arrive at Pico Do Arieiro in the late morning. After your hike to Pico Ruivo, we will pick you in Achada Do Teixeira to take you back to your accommodation.
ABOUT THE HIKE
Duration: 4:30 hours (in total).
Total distance: 11 km.
Days available: Check the calendar.
We do not recommend this hike for kids under 16 years old.
Elevation max: 1862 m
Elevation min: 1542 m
REMEMBER TO BRING
– Water and food.
– Comfortable shoes.
– Clothing according to the weather conditions.
(You will be notified about the temperature in your pick-up time message).
– A backpack with only the necessary.
– A flashlight/Smartphone.
– Rain cover.
OCTOBER 2021 PROGRAM:
- Accommodation pick-up between: 9:20 – 10:20
- 40 minutes drive up to Pico Do Arieiro
- Hike to Pico Ruivo and Achada Do Teixeira: 4:30 hours in total
- Achada Do Teixeira pick-up between: 15:45 – 16:05
- 1 hour drive to Funchal/Caniço
- Accommodation drop-off between: 16:45 – 17:30
NOTE: clock change backward 1 hour on 31st of October. Therefore, the program on that day is 1 hour backward than the one above.
We use 4 tools to measure the weather forecast:
- “Madeira Weather” App by ARDITI Madeira.
- “Windy” App by Windyty SE.
- We reserve the right to postpone your reservation if the weather conditions are dangerous. Everyone’s safety is our top priority.
- Although we try to give everyone the best possible experience, and we close the availability on days of bad weather, it happens that sometimes all the forecasts indicate good weather and are wrong. It is not our fault, there is no possible way to predict it and we cannot control the weather.
- If the forecast points to good weather and it is the opposite once we arrive, WE WILL KEEP the activity if it is not dangerous (clouds, fog, and light rain) or WE WILL CANCEL the activity if it is dangerous (heavy rain and strong wind). In case of cancellation, you will be re-booked or refunded.
- Sometimes you can experience all 4 seasons during the hike. Please be prepared with clothing for any weather conditions.
We will notify your exact time of pick-up 1 day before your transfer in the evening, via WhatsApp or email. We will ask for these details on the check-out page.